The Government of Nova Scotia is reviewing the potential environmental impacts of hydraulic fracturing in onshore petroleum exploration.
The review will determine how hydraulic fracturing is managed in other jurisdictions and identify industry best practices. It will also look at current reviews of other jurisdictions across Canada and in the United States and use outside experts where necessary.
In April 2012, the province announced it will extend the hydraulic fracturing review period to accommodate results from technical reviews underway in Canada and the United States. Read the news release for more information.
Hydraulic Fracturing Review
- The province has reviewed public comments and updated the scope of the review.
Download - Final Scope (PDF: 50k)
Download - Draft Scope (PDF: 30k)
- Public comments are now available for review.
Download - Public Comments (PDF: 13.7mb)
- A summary of public comments is also available for review.
Download - What We Heard (PDF: 253k)
- Frequently asked questions about the hydraulic fracturing review (PDF: 113k)
Hydraulic Fracturing Review Documents
- Jurisdictional Review of Hydraulic Fracturing Regulations (PDF: 1.5mb)
- Frequently Asked Questions - Hydraulic Fracturing Review Extension (PDF: 12k)
- Shale Gas Hydraulic Fracturing - Review Process (PDF: 29k)
- Shale Gas Hydraulic Fracturing - Fact Sheet (PDF: 135k)
- Shale Gas Hydraulic Fracturing - Frequently Asked Questions (PDF: 104k)
- Shale Gas Onshore Exploration - Request for Exploration Proposal Process (PDF: 41k)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Review Update - March 2012 (PDF: 58k)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Review Update - January 2012 (PDF: 68k)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Review Update - December 2011 (PDF: 47k)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Review Update - November 2011 (PDF: 71k)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Review Update - October 2011 (PDF: 54k)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Review Update - September 2011 (PDF: 52k)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Review Update - August 2011 (PDF: 55k)
Alberta - ERCB (Energy Resources Conservation Board)
Quebec - BAPE (Bureau d’audiences publiques sur l’environnment)
United States - EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Draft Plan to Study the Potential Impacts of Hydraulic Fracturing on Drinking Water Resources (PDF)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Research Study (PDF)
- April 16, 2012 - Province Extends Hydraulic Fracturing Review
- June 24, 2011 - Public Input Helps Shape Fracturing Review Scope
- April 20, 2011 - Scope of Hydraulic Fracturing Review Available for Public Comment
- April 04, 2011 - Province to Review Hydraulic Fracturing in Shale Gas Operations