Fear of a coyote encounter should not stop you from enjoying outdoor recreational activities. Take these steps to reduce your risk of an unwanted encounter with a coyote.
- Hike with friends.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use a walking stick and carry a noisemaker such as a bell, a whistle, an air horn, or a personal alarm.
- Do not feed animals in the woods or along trails.
- Never discard food in the woods. Coyotes with access to human food or garbage lose their fear of people.
- Always walk your dog on a leash. If your dog is attacked, never get between your pet and the coyote as the coyote may turn its aggression toward you.
- If you see a coyote, do not approach it.
If a coyote approaches you, don't run; this can cause the coyote to chase you.
If a coyote attacks you, fight back, shout, and throw stones; whatever is available to defend yourself.