I've spotted a black bear on my property. What do I do?
- Check the table to see if you have items on your property that could be attracting bears. Take the action listed in the table.
- Talk to your neighbours about working together to eliminate bear attractants.
- Call your local Department of Natural Resources office www.gov.ns.ca/natr/staffdir/offices.asp After hours call 1-800-565-2224.
As a last resort DNR may set a live trap, however, a trap isn't always the solution because:
- there is no guarantee that a live trap will catch the bear
- even when a trapped bear is released a distance away, it will often find its way back to the place where it was captured.
When a bear becomes dependent on people for food, DNR staff may have no other choice than to kill it.