Did you know?
TOPONYMY - is the study of geographical names. It is derived from the Greek: "topo" meaning place and "onoma" meaning name. It is a sub set of onomastics which is the study of all forms of names. Place names are sometimes called toponyms.THE GAZETTEER
Place names are compiled in what is referred to as a Gazetteer. The Nova Scotia Gazetteer contains almost 28 000 officially recorded names, 2800 of which are community names and the remainder are feature names such as lakes, bays, brooks, and mountains.
NOVA SCOTIA - Nova Scotia is Latin for New Scotland. In 1605 the French established a settlement here at Port Royal. After changing hands with the English, the area was granted in 1621 to a Scottish courtier, William Alexander, Earl of Stirling, by King James I of England and was named Nova Scotia. The colony established by Alexander did not survive. For much of the remainder on the 17th and early 18th centuries the area was known as L'Acadie (Acadia) and mainly occupied by French settlers. After finally being ceded to England in1713 the region was renamed Nova Scotia.
Arcadia: Near Yarmouth. Originally known as 'Upper
Chebogue', The change to Arcadia was made in 1863. While the word itself may
be traced to the classical name for a land of peace and contentment, the place
name was suggested by the brig Arcadia, built and launched here in 1817. (1)
Beinn Breagh: This name was selected by Alexander
Graham Bell (1847-1922) for his estate on the outskirts of Baddeck, Victoria
County. The translation from Gaelic means "beautiful mountain". Bell
is best known for the invention of the telephone however, while in residence
at Beinn Breagh, he worked on a varity of projects including the hydrofoil and
manned flight. He founded the Aerial Experiment Association and was the driving
force behind the first flight in Canada which occurred here on 25 February 1909.(1)
Whitney Pier: Adjacent to Sydney, Cape Breton, first known as "International Pier," for the shipping docks of the Dominion Steel and Coal company, but was changed with the establishment of the post office in 1895. The new name was for Henry M. Whitney, first president of the coal company.(1)
Most variations of a community name:
The Pubnico's: Lower West Pubnico; Middle West Pubnico; West Pubnico; Pubnico;
East Pubnico; Middle East Pubnico; Centre East Pubnico; Lower East Pubnico.
White Hill, Victoria County - Nova Scotia's highest point at 530 metres.
(1) Hamilton, William B., (1930-), Place Names of Atlantic Canada, University of Toronto Press Incorporated 1996
This page and all contents Crown copyright © 2013, Province of Nova Scotia, all rights reserved.
Please use the online inquiry form if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.