Crown lands of the Kelley River and Raven Head areas of Cumberland County have now been designated under the Wilderness Areas Protection Act.
Public feedback helped government make informed decisions on wilderness area boundaries and management of these important lands.
Kelley River Wilderness Area straddles the watersheds of Kelley River and Atkinson Brook, and includes wild sections of River Hebert, Halfway River and a tidal portion of Maccan River (map (PDF: 882k)).
At 20,950 hectares (52,000 acres), Kelley River is the third largest wilderness area in Nova Scotia. This is an area of extensive, mature and older forest. It provides habitat for species at risk, including wood turtle, Inner Bay of Fundy Salmon and the endangered mainland moose.
Raven Head Wilderness Area protects 36 km of undeveloped coast along the Bay of Fundy, between Apple Head and Shulie River (map (PDF: 647k)). The 5,270 hectare (13,000 acres) area includes fossil cliffs, sheltered coves, beaches, saltmarshes, and coastal forest. It also provides habitat for the endangered mainland moose and other sensitive species.
These new wilderness areas are ideal for outdoor recreation such as sport fishing, hiking, canoeing, camping, hunting and beachcombing, as well as for research, education and community stewardship. Some vehicle access will be permitted on existing forest roads and trails to ensure valued public access and connections between communities.
The designation follows more than two years of review, public consultation, and consultation with the Nova Scotia Mi’kmaq. A summary of public consultation and designation decisions is available here (PDF: 524k).
Kelley River and Raven Head wilderness areas are the 39th and 40th wilderness areas to be designated in Nova Scotia. Together, these areas contribute almost 0.5% toward the province’s goal of legally protecting 12% of Nova Scotia’s landmass by 2015.
- News release: designation announced June 6, 2012
- Designation information (newsletter #4) (PDF: 524k)
- Map of Kelley River Wilderness Area (PDF: 882k)
- Map of Raven Head Wilderness Area (PDF: 647k)
Consultation Information on Proposed Wilderness Areas
- Download: Newsletter #3 - Consultation newsletter (PDF: 3.4mb)
- Download: Comment sheet (PDF: 396k)
- Read the government news release (April 21, 2011)
- Download: regional map of proposed wilderness areas (PDF: 312k)
- Download: map of proposed Raven Head Wilderness Area (PDF: 144k)
- Download: map of proposed Kelley River Wilderness Area (PDF: 303k)
Chignecto Crown Land Study Area Documents
- Read the government news release (November, 2010)
- Read the government news release (October, 2009)
- Download: Newsletter #2 – Update (PDF: 5.7mb)
- Download: Newsletter # 1 – Chignecto Crown Lands Evaluation (PDF: 766k)
- Download study area map (PDF: 969k)
- Wilderness Areas: Frequently Asked Questions