Nova Scotia Wildfire Control Centre
Often referred as the "fire duty room" or "fire control", the wildfire centre is staffed at least 12 hours a day during the fire season. The centre provides a coordinated suppression effort, province- wide support for suppression activities, and maintains a state of fire preparedness as warranted by fire conditions.
We do this by:
- Assessing fire weather conditions by gathering the fire weather observations from across the province and applying forecast information;
- Producing and distributing the Provincial Fire Weather Indices, both current and forecast, for suppression preparedness and public awareness;
- Setting provincial alert levels for the aircraft fleet and associated air attack crews in response to the fire danger level;
- Allocating resources provincially for fire suppression and crew support;
- Responding to reports of wildfires from DNR fire towers, the public through 911, the 1-800-565-2224 emergency line, and other sources;
- Processing requests for fire fighting support nationally and internationally.