- Nova Scotia has the oldest population in Atlantic Canada, and seniors are the fastest growing segment of our population.
- By 2021, the life expectancy in Nova Scotia is projected to increase to 78.2 years for men and 83.9 years for women.
- 52.6 per cent of Nova Scotians over the age of 12 do not participate in enough physical activity to obtain optimal health benefits.
- Few factors contribute as much to successful aging as having a physically active lifestyle. Participating in physical activity throughout our life can have a profound effect on the quality of our lives today and on how well we age.
- Fit people are half as likely to become dependant as those who aren't fit.
- It's never too late to become active. You'll see significant health benefits by including a moderate amount of physical activity on most, if not all, days of the week.
Want to know more?
Health Canada - Tips and resources for healthy living
Canadian Health Network - Health information for every body
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Make physical activity a regular part of your life