Publication Date: May 13, 2005
This applies to facilities selling hard ice cream. It does not apply to facilities that sell soft ice cream
or further process (value added) hard ice cream. (i.e. shakes, splits)
A. Construction and Design
- Submit plan to Food Safety Specialist for review and showing
- Floor plan and equipment legend
- List of construction and finish materiels
- Designed to prevent cross contamination from or to other foods.
- Walls, floors, and ceilings constructed of smooth non absorbent materials.
- Lighting, minimum 50 fc.
- Provision for:
- hand washing conveniently located for staff
- utensil washing
- utensil washing
- storage of scoops while in service
- adequate frozen storage
- dry storage
- pest control
- adequate, potable water supply
- waste disposal
Minimum of one hand washing sink used for no other purpose located adjacent
to the dipping area, equipped with hot and cold water under pressure, liquid or
powdered soap in a suitable dispenser, and paper towels.
- A minimum of one sink for utensil washing.
- For in use scoops:
- A continuously running water dipper well; or
- Similar configurations that operate in the same manner
(container in sink with water continuously running into it and overflowing); or
- Dry storage of scoops when scoops are cleaned and sanitized after every use.
- Adequate freezer space for the storage of product in the establishment
- Adequate other storage (ie: cones, paper products, cleaners) in the facility
- Screening or barriers to prevent entry of pests.
C. Water Supply
- Potable, hot and cold
- Enclosed pressure system for water storage that could be
a). A holding tank acceptable for use in mobile units.
- Registered under the Water Regulations of the Department of Environment and Labour (if applicable)
- Water sample required
Waste Collection and Disposal
- Approved by the Department of Environment and Labour for on-site sewage disposal.
- Approval from Municipal authority for municipal collection.
- Conveniently available for staff.
- Hand sink equipped with hot and cold running water, liquid or powdered soap and paper towels.
F. Risk Reduction
- Only product from approved sources to be used.
a) Home made ice cream is not permitted.
- Activity to be separated from highly contaminated areas. (ie: meat cutting areas; next
to raw vegetables)
- Dipper wells to be used as designed
- Cones have paper covering for handling or be handled with a napkin during scooping.
- Only single service serving items to be used.
- Staff to wear clean cloths, aprons, hair covering.
- Staff must be aware of hygiene issues. (ie: importance of hand washing and not working while ill).
- If product thaws it must not be re-frozen.